This post may contain affiliate links.
Cleansing balms are a really hot product right now. They have been around for a long time and are super cleansers, getting rid of the most water resistant and tough make up. Balms are heavy duty cleanser but are rich and can be used daily as part of your skincare routine. Balms can be used on all skin types, even oily types, who would not naturally gravitate towards oils based but they really work!
This gentle lavender cleansing balm is the perfect way to add pure luxury with aromatherapy to your cleansing routine, bringing the spa to you at home. It releases a calming lavender fragrance as it cleanses, helping to soothe the senses as it melts away makeup.
Natural ingredients like lavender infused oil, beeswax and a plant-based emulsifier create a velvety balm-to-oil consistency that melts on contact with skin, quickly dissolving makeup and impurities.
This recipe uses a lavender infused oil or macerated oil, these are incredibly easy to make and I choose an infused oil over an essential lavender oil due to the potency of pure lavender essential oil on the skin. This option is more gentle and while you can use essential oils in recipes you need to be aware of the dermal limits as some essential oils can irritate the skin, but this macerate oil is a perfect ingredient.
// You need:
// Lavender Infused Oil
//DIY Oil Cleansing Balm with Lavender Infused Oil
- 60ml lavender infused oil
- 2 tbsp beeswax pellets
- 1 tbsp Olivem 1000
- A few drops of purple food colouring (optional)
Lavender Infused Oil or Macerated Oil
- Before beginning, prepare a double boiler by placing a heat-safe container into a water bath.
- To make lavender infused oil, place coconut oil and dried lavender flowers into your double boiler. Turn the heat to medium to heat the oil. Once heated, reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer for an hour or until fragrant. Stir periodically to help release the flowers' fragrance. I you can leave it longer that an hour then do so.
- Once your lavender oil is finished infusing, strain out the flowers using a small strainer or a piece of cheesecloth. The oil is ready to use.
Lavender Infused Cleansing Balm
- Place the beeswax pellets into your double boiler and melt over medium heat. Add in the Olivem 1000, during this step. Heat into
- Once the waxes have melted, add your lavender infused oil. Some of the wax will re-solidify at this point. This is normal. Whisk to mix the oil and the wax.
- Continue to heat the oil cleansing balm at medium heat, whisking frequently. Hold at medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Once the balm has been heated for 5 minutes, turn off the heat and immediately add a few drops of purple natural food colouring, if you want a purple shade, this step is not necessary but looks nice. Whisk vigorously until the colour is completely incorporated.
- Transfer your oil cleansing balm to a small glass storage container. Then, carefully place the balm into the fridge to solidify.
- Allow the balm to solidify in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or until completely set. Letting the balm set in the refrigerator helps ensure a smooth, gel-like texture with no lumps.
- Once your oil cleansing balm has set, allow it to come to room temperature before use. It can now be stored at room temperature.
I get a lot of my ingredients from Amazon and use Prime, which gives me free & speedy delivery on a lot of items plus access to Prime Video! A favourite in our house. Try Prime for free for 30 days by signing up here and avail of items that are delivered for free.
Not a Maker
If you love the idea of a cleansing balm or the Lavender inspired product then we have some beautiful products for you to choose from. We have selected our favourites online for you.
This oil-based cleanser cleans the skin while lightly exfoliating, melting away makeup, dirt, toxins and pollution. This balm is 100% NATURAL natural and vegan which cleanses without unbalancing to perfectly hydrate your skin. This cleansing balm can be used to remove mascara and eye makeup.
Banila Co Clean It Zero Cleansing Balm Original is a cost-effective basic item and the father of Clean It Zero collection. It contains acerola extract which rich in vitamin C to prevent aging and help brighten dull skin, while spring water which rich in minerals and other inorganic substances soothe and hydrate skin. It suits all skin types.
This powerful, deep cleansing balm dissolves make-up, daily grime and pollutants. Luxurious Rose and Mimosa waxes are infused with nourishing Elderberry, Starflower and OptimegaTM oils and supercharged with anti-ageing algae, Padina Pavonica. Skin is intensely cleansed, nourished and renewed for a glowing complexion.
This luxurious cleansing balm gently dissolves make-up, while cleansing and nourishing the skin, making it ideal for all skin types including sensitive skin. Combining soothing colloidal oatmeal with ceramides to support the skin’s natural protective barrier, it's also formulated with oat kernel oil.
Disclaimer: This information and content does not replace that advice of a dermatologist or medical advice. Please seek medical advice if you suspect that you have a dermal condition.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Affiliate links come at no extra cost to you. These links allow us to share the products we authentically recommend (and use) and support our recipes by receiving a small commission.