This post may contain affiliate links.
When I started using homemade products, it was because of my skin being congested around the cheek area and it was a natural interest I had. I dabbled in organic homemade skin care since I was a teen but I often went back to store bought pieces, this was largely due to the fact I ran and still do run a make up company and sold some really high quality skincare. This really worked but I love knowing what is in my product. My daughter suffers eczema and the store bought items simply gave her limited to no relief.
After using a few homemade remedies, her skin really cleared up. It took a few weeks, but her skin cleared up tremendously.
This charcoal cleanser was one I made to get rid of the congestion and breakouts on my skin. Charcoal is a superstar ingredient that really works, just check out some bestselling products sculpted from activated charcoal.
Some of the benefits of charcoal are:
- Exfoliation without stripping the face of natural oil
- Deeply cleansing to pores
- Soothing for acne
- Removes blackheads
- Relieves skin impurities
- Detoxifying and purifying
- Shrinks pores
- Tightens the skin
With this in mind it is a really good addition if you suffer from oil, breakouts and can be used intermittently if you do not have acne but want to keep breakouts at bay. It is one of those skincare products that is used because it really does work. Charcoal's natural grit is great at gently exfoliating skin and giving you that glow!
Coconut oil is super hydrating for your skin and is also great at removing makeup. The baking soda in the recipe acts as a gentle exfoliant.
- 1 & ½ tsp Activated Charcoal
- 1 & ½ cup of Coconut Oil
- 2 tbsp Baking Soda or Bicarbonate of Soda
- 5 Drops of Lavender Oil
- 5 Drops of Rosemary Oil
- Glass bowls or Jugs x 2
- Heat resistant spatula or wooden spoon
- Make up removing sponge or mitt
- Put the activated charcoal into a bowl.
- Melt the coconut oil using the double boil method; place coconut oil into the bowl and place the bowl on top of a pan of hot water. This gently melts it.
- Mix the coconut oil, baking soda, and charcoal powder together in a small bowl. Mix together well.
- Add the essential oils and mix well. Once everything is mixed up properly, pour it into a container of your choice.
- Use a warm, wet make up removing sponge, mitt or face cloth to moisten your face. Next, massage a small amount all over your skin.
- This removes makeup and cleanses your skin. You can leave it on for a few minutes, just so it seeps in and really gets to work. Then use your washcloth to remove the cleanser from your skin.
- This will leave your skin moisturised, so you can stop here if you’d like.
- Follow using a toner, serum and moisturiser afterwards.
- You can use this once a week if you don't suffer from acne or oily skin but want to keep pesky spots at bay.
I get a lot of my ingredients from Amazon and use Prime, which gives me free & speedy delivery on a lot o items plus access to Prime Video! A favourite in our house. Try Prime for free for 30 days by signing up here and avail of items that are delivered for free.
Not a maker?
A lot of our readers are skincare lovers but don't want to make their skincare. Thankfully there are lots of gorgeous products out there for us to try.
Nip + Fab Charcoal and Mandelic Acid Cleansing Bar
Soap are making a comeback and this Nip + Fab one is a lovely addition. It is a 3 in 1 charcoal cleansing Bar to cleanse + treat + moisturise your skin and reveal a smoother + clearer complexion. Formulated using a coconut oil base, this detoxifying cleanser will leave your skin feeling soft + nourished. My favourite part is that the charcoal and Mandelic acid included in this cleansing Bar will help gently exfoliate and absorb the excess oil while fighting blemishes to reveal a glowing skin!
Dermalogica Charcoal Rescue Masque
Dermalogica is a powerhouse in creating fast acting, quality skincare. This fast-acting, easy-to-remove masque rescues tired, lackluster or dull skin. Activated binchotan charcoal powerfully adsorbs impurities while sulfur promotes cell turnover for dramatically brighter skin.
This Charcoal Face Wash, is an excellent choice for an oily or acne prone skin. It helps to remove impurities such as dirt and oil, resulting in tingly-fresh, purified skin and a clear looking complexion.
Disclaimer: This information and content does not replace that advice of a dermatologist or medical advice. Please seek medical advice if you suspect that you have a dermal condition.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Affiliate links come at no extra cost to you. These links allow us to share the products we authentically recommend (and use) and support our recipes by receiving a small commission.